Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Conflict....!






"I've been a great deal happier," she said at last ,timidly, "since I have given up thinking about what is easy and pleasant, and being discontented because I couldn't have my own will. Our life is determined for us - and it makes the mind very free when we give up wishing, and only think of bearing what is laid upon us, and doing what is given us to do."




"But I can't give up wishing,"said Philip, impatiently. "It seems to me we can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good, and we must hunger after them. How can we ever be satisfied without them until our feelings are deadened?"






______


From the Chapter "In the Red Deeps," of George Eliot's novel, The Mill on the Floss.




P.S. : A conversation between Maggie Tulliver and Philip Wakem. A conflict I could not resolve...!