Sunday, August 21, 2011

Briefing...

Since I arrived to the States..and I started bit by bit realising the big transition that I'm gonna undergo.. I was of course excited..anticipating...numb at times..and of course afraid! I realised what I have done..once I stepped into my big dull room..that I had called "the prison room"..The plain walls..and the empty room, the grey mattress of the bed! The bed that had no sheets, no blankets..The walls that were cold.. The floor that was all colourless..and two big suitcases of mine..resided there..and me in the corner had my first time of long crying fits! If it weren't to facebook, friends..and couple of stickers and my little friends I brought with me (namely Boogy w Tamtam, my little fanoos and smiley flower)..I would have definitely gone crazy!



*




(The corner of Joy..the first few things I put infront of me..the first 10 min I was in my room for the first time- The corner of Joy now..always has chocolate and sweet things !)


*


My first shopping trip - to the very famous Walmart- was definitely not for food..it was for STICKERS! Yep..I needed COLOURS to my room..bought a pinkish quilt..smiley stickers, butterfly stickers..and even sunflowers' stickers..to put those everywhere! Still, I refused to unpack! The denial phase was going on..I thought if I don't unpack my suitcases..may be I'll be going back home in the next few days...! So, I just didn't! and my room..wasn't warm still!
*


(On Campus, on my very first arrival)



*



Then from denial and refusing..to surrendering to the fact that this is my room for the coming while..this is the big kitchen I have to share in a dorm..and this is the life I have to lead: From a very pampered Hagar..to someone who buys forks, and spoons, spices and quilts, pots for cooking, to cleaning material, to thinking of what to cook..and what I may need.



*




(My desk with the tokens and books that accompanied me from Egypt)


*


My first proud moment..was the laundry visit! :D The anticipating, worried look on my face that changed to a childish joy when I saw my clothes all washed up..and no colour-disaster took place..were worth shooting...! I was going back home with all my laundry dried up, smelling really good with my lovely detergent..and I was so proud of myself..that I've done that from A-to-Z! (No jokes here..we said 'am pampered!)


*


(That's the dryer with my clothes inside..MY FIRST TIME EVER :D)
*

My next proud moment..was when I had the public transportation round here..and went to continue my shopping on my own this time (before I had the luck of joining a very good Tunisian friend who helped/helps me around much, not to mention having Iftar with her-and not dining alone -saved me a lot from loneliness around here alhamdulelah)! I went shopping..had my first Amerian mobile number...and that's it..I was settling and coping..and at the end of the day..I had a colourful room..with fairies stuck on my wall, smiley faces to help me wake up every day and not to cry every night...and a desk with little tokens from people I love..and carried their hearts in my heart ..with me to U.S.A.! and Now..I unpacked..and my things, clothes..and life..are in a new room..new city, new country..very far away from Egypt! But now..I call this "home"..just to get used to it!




If I'm missing anything in this adventure..that would be my sister, Heba! I wished she was with me to join the adventure..and we'd go along...! But..who said she's far away..anyway..! :)


*





(One of the fairies that welcomes life..stuck on my wall..I have some of them up there with TinkerBell :) )


*


At last..what I mostly like here..is that..with my Hijab..Arabs and Muslim Americans..recognise me as a Muslim..so they always stop me and greet me in Arabic with "Assalamu Alikom" and a sweet smile! This makes my day...for real!! So please, if you happen to see me around..walking from classes..or look all grumpy missing home..or carrying many bags from "Target"...just stop me and say "Hi"...It feels like you're never alone! :))


*


(The Smiley faces all along my bed..and on the drawes as well..to remind me to Smile..)
*


p.s. When I knew I'm travelling..I promised myself to try to post sth. to record each day I'm living here..., and I will try to do so! I'd like to see from where I began and where to end!
*
p.s. 2 (Thanks to my friends..and their tokens..and those who visit me..and those who keep my company..and my friends' whose prayers are answered and God-sent angels come by to ease my day and colour it with a smile)



5 comments:

نــهـــــــال said...

rbena ykrmik w ye2weeky :))))))

Epitaph1987 said...

ن
Thank you..and amen :)

روز said...

أنا بدعي لك كتير والله يا هاجر، ربنا يبسطك دايما ويوفقك :)

Layla said...

I super like this post ..good luck :)))

Nouran said...

enty ro7ty fen !!